How to Think Like a Winner
How Winners Think
- "Winning is a consequence of my ability"
- Believe they can succeed
- Failure blamed on lack of effort
- To turn defeat into victory: try harder
- Failure increases motivation
- Plan path to succeed, and have alternatives
- Take measured risks
- Direct energies to challenges rather than worry
- Seek solutions, not excuses
How Losers Think
- Attribute failure to lack of ability and/or resources
- Attribute success to luck or weak opponents
- Focus on problem causes
- Believe powerless to change because no amount of effort will overcome incompetence
- Strategies; fakes injuries, offers token efforts, rejects success, focuses on doubt and inevitable failure, "how soon will this be over?"
Baker, J., Ct, J., & Deakin, J. (2005). Cognitive characteristics of expert, middle of the pack, and back of the pack ultra-endurance triathletes, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, vol. 6, pp. 551-558.