Delegation Vs. Abdication: How Do Your Managers Approach Assigning Responsibility?
Two Essential Questions To Ask Before Handing Off A Task
- Does this person have the capability to do the work?
- Has this person been trained to do this particular work?
Train Your Managers To Train Their Team For Delegation
- First, I'm going to do the task and you will watch me.
- Next, we will do the task together.
- Finally, you will do the task and I will watch.
That process can be applied to nearly any task. Some will be more complicated, to be sure and the process of learning a new task may take longer if complex, but the three basic steps remain in play. Once an employee demonstrates that they can do the task successfully, they can then take ownership, freeing the manager to tackle other tasks that only they can do.