How You Can Use The Positive and Negative Power of Performance Expectations
- Be clear about your expectations when working with others.
- Explain why your expectations are high: "because I believe in your ability to do this."
- Be cautious when told to expect little of someone.
- Give people opportunities to prove themselves.
- Set the example by making your personal performance expectations high.
Weaver, J., Filson Moses, J., & Snyder, M. (2016). Self-Fulfilling Prophecies in Ability Settings. Journal Of Social Psychology, 156(2), 179-189.